Tuesday, January 01, 2008

pay?

Joe and my dad were trying to level out the new tv my parents bought into an old walnut hutch that my mom loves. They had stopped touching anything and the light sound of glass breaking and falling was heard.

A lower shelf of the walnut hutch had tilted (it was only hanging on by a couple of small nails for over 100 years). My mom's china and other valuable glassware was slowly being crushed.

Luke had the cutest comment, "Mom, who is going to pay for that?".

Oh, I think Papa will be paying for that for some time.

She is always telling me about the high price of carnival glass. Unfortunately, it isn't worth as much in so many, many small pieces.

The main hardship was the damage done to her mother's china. I do believe it is replaceable. She has seen it on the replacements.com website. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it right now. I even looked at the bottom of a broken creamer today to see the name. It's Noritake - I think it starts with an "e"...

I think the best plan or repayment may be to start a new collection in tribute of her new woodland habitat. What about this? It comes in such a variety and it is pretty nice stuff.

I know it is no replacement for her roots - the heirloom from her mother but they are things and the life and memories we have are much more important.

Poor guys! Poor Papa! But by the way, it is a really nice tv!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh. my. gosh. That is so painful. I was cringing as I read it. However, I do have the Spode pattern you suggested...The Woodlands and I love it. It also comes with fish and another version has buffalo in it. I want it all!