Thursday, November 08, 2007

milestones

I have a new milestone to add to the baby books.

So maybe he is 4 years old now - probably out of the baby book stage but I think this final milestone may make it official.

Potty training cold turkey at 3 wasn't too tough. Getting the young man to wipe his own rear has been quite the challenge. He has had no interest. Until today...

"Mom, can you come in here? I am done going poo-poo!"

Usually this is quite the amplified statement resonating throughout the home and perhaps the neighborhood. Today it was rather a calm statement of fact - not of urgency. When I arrived at the door I had to explain to him that I could not get in as he has locked the door.

"Oh. Just a minute."

I enter the bathroom.

"Hey mom, do you want to see something?"

Always a frightening question after your son has used the toilet - but I am a daring girl - no queasy stomach here.

"Sure."

"Want to see my wipe my bottom?"

It was quite an impressive site. Albeit not through at least there was initiative and an attempt - in fact there was literal action that got the job done.

Hallelujah - I say! The boy is no longer a babe! Send him to school - heck have him ride his own bike there with his very own two bottom wiping hands!!!

He even washed his own hands WITHOUT resistant - this is a miracle in itself.

So there you have it. Baby book complete.

PS - if you really want to know how insane I am getting - ask me about how I actually set my 18 month old on the potty last week. I really did think he would poop on it - poor me:(

1 comment:

Kim said...

Way to go Luke! Max is obsessed with going "potty". I sit his happy little hiney on it all the time. Nothing ever happens but we cheer anyway! It is never too early to start!